The Nunavut Elections Act is the law we follow to elect Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs). Nunavummiut have the right to vote and help decide who forms the territorial government.
The principles of the Nunavut Elections Act are to:
- Encourage people to vote.
- Make it easy for voters to vote if they want to.
- Remove barriers for people who want to be candidates.
- Help the public be more aware about elections.
- Write public information in all Nunavut’s official languages.
- Cooperate with others - such as people who run other elections in Nunavut - to share information, learn, train staff, and deliver better election services.
- Run an effective, efficient election.
- Respect the geography, languages, and other unique things about Nunavut.
- Evaluate the election process and make sure it meets the needs of Nunavummiut.