Municipal Council Elections
The municipal council is responsible for the municipality’s budget, as well as services like animal control, employment, roads, water, sewage, and recreation.
- There are 25 municipal councils across Nunavut.
- A municipal council normally has eight councillors plus a mayor, all of whom are elected locally every four years.
- The next municipal General Election will be on October 23, 2023.
- The rules guiding municipal council elections can be found in the Nunavut Elections Act (starting on Section 224.1).
- A candidate can run for mayor or for municipal councillor, but not for both.
- Following an election, one of the councillors is appointed deputy mayor from within the council.
- By-elections may be held if a mayoral seat becomes vacant, but there are no by-elections for councillors.