Municipal Council Elections
The municipal council is responsible for the municipality’s budget, as well as services like animal control, employment, roads, water, sewage, and recreation.
- There are 25 municipal councils across Nunavut.
- A municipal council has eight councillors plus a mayor, all of whom are elected locally every four years.
- The next general election for the entire municipal council will be on October 28, 2019.
- A candidate can run for mayor or for municipal councillor, but not for both.
- Following an election, one of the councillors is appointed deputy mayor from within the council.
- By-elections may be held if a mayoral seat becomes vacant, but there are no by-elections for councillors.
The above information includes recent changes that affect the administration of municipal elections. Learn more about them:
- For the Summary of the Administration of Municipal Elections in 2019 click here.
- The important changes in the Municipal Elections Bill can be found by clicking here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Elections Nunavut.