Frequently Asked Questions

Liquor Elections and Plebiscites

No. Alcohol Education Committees (AEC) exist only in areas that use a community system to regulate alcohol. As of 2020, they were Arctic Bay, Kinngait, Chesterfield Inlet, Clyde River, Hall Beach, Igloolik, Kimmirut, Naujaat, Pond Inlet, Qikiqtarjuaq, Resolute Bay and Whale Cove. Places where alcohol is either unregulated or prohibited do not have AECs.

If you are a qualified voter in Nunavut, you can be a candidate in the municipal election and the AEC election at the same time.

If you have questions on how to start a petition to hold a liquor plebiscite in your community, contact the Department of Finance by phone at (867) 975-6816 or by email at


Liquor plebiscites and AEC elections follow certain rules in the Plebiscites Act and Elections Act and the Liquor Act.

Elections Nunavut administers these elections and plebiscites through an agreement with Government of Nunavut.

The next AEC General Election will be on October 23, 2023.

Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis website.


Phone: 1-855-844-5488