You can vote if you are:
- A Canadian citizen;
- 18 years or older;
- A resident of the community where you intend to vote;
- A Nunavut resident; AND,
- Not disqualified from voting (see “Disqualifications” below).
Who is a Nunavut Resident?
You are a Nunavut resident if:
- You have been living in Nunavut for at least one year before Election Day; OR,
- You are living away temporarily, but Nunavut is still your home (for example, students, medical patients, and people in jail).
You are not a Nunavut resident if you leave Nunavut for a permanent job. If you live in two places throughout the year, you should vote where you live more than six months of the year.
You may not vote if:
- You have a court order that says you don’t understand your actions or you can’t decide things for yourself;
- You committed a crime and are in a place for people with mental illness; OR,
- You have been convicted of breaking an election law anywhere in Canada in the last five years.
To vote, you must be on the Voters List.
This is Elections Nunavut’s list of everyone in Nunavut who can vote. It includes each voter’s name, mailing address, and municipal address (house and lot number).
How Do We Use the Voters List?
Elections Nunavut uses the Voters List to help us make sure no one votes twice. It is also used to mail out Voter Information Cards before an election. These tell you where and when you can vote in your community.
The Voters List is used only for elections activities. It is not used for jury duty or any other purpose.
Am I on the Voters List?
To find out if you are on the Voters List, check the online portal or ask your local Returning Officer (the person who manages the election activities in your community). Or, contact Elections Nunavut:
- 645-4610 (Rankin Inlet) or 1-800-267-4394 (Toll-free in Canada)
How Do I Get on the Voters List?
There are three ways to get on the Voters List:
- Complete your registration online using the Voter Registration Portal.
- Complete the Voter Registration Form the website. Print, sign and email it with 2 pieces of ID.
- Complete the form when you go to vote. You may need to provide identification.
Changes or Corrections
To change or correct your information on the Voters List: