A District Education Authority (DEA) is a local board that decides, in partnership with Regional School Operations and school staff, how education is administered in the community. Duties include establishing the school calendar and developing an attendance policy.
- A DEA is composed of seven members who are elected locally.
- The next election for all DEA members will be on October 23, 2023.
- The Commission scolaire francophone du Nunavut (CSFN) is also a DEA, though it functions slightly differently and has five members instead of seven.
- There are 27 DEAs (including the CSFN) across Nunavut.
- In the event that a board member position becomes vacant between elections, another member is appointed. There are no by-elections.
The above information includes recent changes that affect the administration of DEA elections. Learn more about them: